About Me

My photo
70 now and our five wonderful years aboard our narrowboat Skyy seem along time ago. Jacquie, allowed me to build my replica three wheeler kit car, which was a great success. Now it's time to start on a bigger project and that is to make a good Triumph Stag even better, here goes.

Tuesday 23 August 2011

ONCE MORE TO THE CUT DEAR FRIENDS

MONDAY 22ND AUGUST 2011

At last we are back on SKYY and on the move again, we didn’t get very far, only from Wigrams Turn Marina to the outskirts of Braunston. We stopped for lunch with every intention of moving on, but our new neighbours were very friendly and lunch got delayed and as it was a lovely day we stayed put.

The last couple of months have been mostly spent in Europe, staying with friends in Bavaria and the South of France. I keep my old Moto Guzzi motorbike in France and it was good to have the opportunity to get my leg over my faithful Italian belladonna.
I missed out riding her last September as my heart event rather got in the way, but I more than made up for it this time with a couple of trips into Italy with my biking chum.

One of the trips was to Carrara which has supplied much of the world for hundreds of years with top quality marble, the block that Michelangelo used to carve his famous David came from here and more recent sculptors such as Henry Moore always came here to select their marble. Before we rode up to the mountain to visit the quarries and the caves we wandered through the town and were very impressed by this full size sculpture of a 1950 Cadillac in the town square, it is, amazing, exact to the smallest details.



During the last week on Skyy I replaced the Perspex to the side hatch; the new piece rests on the outside of the frame and now if it rain we don’t have to rush to remove it and close the doors as the rain just runs off. Also, at last, I got the replacement twin hooters, that we bought from Puffer Parts on the Leeds and Liverpool Canal, working, I fixed them to the roof to the left hand side of the rear hatch and wired them directly to the switch, WOW! What a sound, brilliant!! I wonder how long before somebody complains that they are too noisy. The forecast is rain for Tuesday so I imagine that we won’t be progressing very far, but we have a couple of months cruising ahead of us, so no hurry.

No comments: