About Me

My photo
70 now and our five wonderful years aboard our narrowboat Skyy seem along time ago. Jacquie, allowed me to build my replica three wheeler kit car, which was a great success. Now it's time to start on a bigger project and that is to make a good Triumph Stag even better, here goes.

Sunday, 27 May 2012


FRIDAY 25TH TO SUNDAY 27TH MAY 2012             

As we passed the moored boats, a stranded tree trunk and entered Gunthorpe lock we waved goodbye to sunny Gunny, on this beautiful morning. The water was foaming over the weir as we headed out into the stream and Jacquie took up her favourite position, just inside the rear hatch and out of the wind, sadly she missed the comical vision of a long horn cow, thoughtfully scratching its nose on a conveniently abandoned ‘Man at Work’ sign.

We made, good time down to Newark, it is a busy scene, just before Town Lock, warehouses and big BW workboats crowd the river and the mellow stone walls of the castle rise up in the background. The wind was blowing in totally the wrong direction as we entered Kings Marina, but with some considerable help from our soon to be neighbours, we tied up at our allotted pontoon, but not without inflicting some minor damage to the paint of my once pristine gunnels. 

Jacquie started to pack, as she was going to catch a train to Selby on Saturday morning, to spend a long weekend with Sylvia, one of the good friends we made during our enforced nine months stay there, back in 2010/2011, following my bypass op.

As soon as I waved Jacquie off I was back on SKYY and started to fit my new gadget, a fresh water tank level indicator. I can dip the diesel tank and know how much fuel I’ve used,  a gauge tells me when the loo needs to be pumped out, but the only way I have of checking how long we can go before filling up with water, is by tapping on the side of the stainless steel tank and listening for the change in tone, not very accurate. The kit from MCS Electronics comprises a pressure sensor that is fitted into the pipe between the water tank and the water pump and a graphic gauge, which is mounted in a convenient spot.

I finished connecting up the wiring today, Sunday, the whole job didn’t actually take that long; I took time out for a bit of sunbathing. I filled the water tank and calibrated the full mark and it appears to be working well and hopefully will ensure that we never run out of water again. A bit of shopping, keeping up with the blog and now I can sit back and relax whilst waiting for Jacquie to return on Monday evening.

We will probably stay here for a week, whilst waiting for our travelling companions to catch up with us and then this year’s adventure will begin in earnest, down the tidal Trent and on our way to crossing the Wash in the middle of June, to spend the summer on the Fens.

No comments: