About Me

My photo
70 now and our five wonderful years aboard our narrowboat Skyy seem along time ago. Jacquie, allowed me to build my replica three wheeler kit car, which was a great success. Now it's time to start on a bigger project and that is to make a good Triumph Stag even better, here goes.

Tuesday 20 April 2010

AN ALARMING EXPIERENCE

TUESDAY 21ST APRIL 2010

I wasn’t going to tell anyone, but when Jacquie was about to enter Ashted Tunnel, yesterday, which is a narrow, one way working tunnel, the coolie hat on top of the chimney got knocked off and splashed into the canal, fortunately the chimney was much more firmly attached and Jacquie backed off and removed it before proceeding back into the tunnel. Also whilst unravelling the lead from between Duggie’s legs whilst in the final stages of entering a lock Jacquie stopped the boat by using the bow of the boat and the gates, upsetting quite a few things inside, but luckily no breakages.

This morning just after I stoked up the fire, I thought I could smell a bit of smoke, the strident tone of the smoke detector confirmed there was indeed some smoke. Almost immediately another warning ping joined in, telling me that domestic alternator had cut out. By the time I had revved the engine a bit to get alternator charging again, the CO alarm started beeping. Poor Duggie, he didn’t know where to hide.

A very blustery wind could be seen to be pushing smoke back down the chimney and with no coolie hat to stop it a back pressure was temporarily building up in the stove. Also yesterdays jolt must have loosened the joint between the flue and stove, but a rake out and application of fresh fire cement stopped the CO monitor from sounding off, but still whenever there was a particularly violent gust of wind the smoke alarm would be triggered, solved that one by taking it down.

The Alternator is a different matter, the first time it dropped out was whilst we were in Braunston, waiting to have our bottom blacked and I was running the engine to heat the water and charge the battery, it started to charge OK the next day, but I did in fact phone Beta to enquire about a larger replacement alternator, should the need arise. A very helpful gentleman confirmed that a 100ah would be a bolt on replacement for my 70ah.

Since we started our cruise, every now and again the warning pings and a change in the engine note confirmed that the alternator had dropped out, but a quick increase in revs got it going again. Today whilst running the engine this kept happening and eventually no amount of revving would get it to charge.

RCR to the rescue, they are going to order the 100ah alternator on my behalf and when it is delivered, hopefully the next day, the engineer will call to confirm our whereabouts, probably The Black Country Living Museum and come fit it. Problem solved I hope. I will keep you posted.

1 comment:

Carol said...

whoops!! glad you got it sorted though!
Carol Rock n Roll