About Me

My photo
70 now and our five wonderful years aboard our narrowboat Skyy seem along time ago. Jacquie, allowed me to build my replica three wheeler kit car, which was a great success. Now it's time to start on a bigger project and that is to make a good Triumph Stag even better, here goes.

Monday 26 April 2010

A CRAP DAY

WEDNESDAY 21ST APRIL 2010

RCR called first thing to confirm that they had ordered the new alternator from Beta Marine and I thought all our problems were fixed, but not so. The loo tank was full to the brim, or at least the little red needle indicated so, as did the full toilet pan. Sherborne Wharf in the middle of the Oozells Street loop provided the service at a remarkable cheap £9 and also a replacement coolie hat for the chimney, but still no amount of pushing the flush button, with the water supply turned off of course, would empty the pan. The pump out hose was passed through the bathroom porthole and emptied the pan, but it was still blocked.

Jacquie sensible took herself off to Birmingham’s shopping centre whilst I rolled up my sleeves and donned the black rubber gloves. It didn’t take too long to separate the loo from the bulkhead and the macerator from the porcelain pan. When I removed the end plate the problem was apparent, four and a bit years of accumulated ‘stuff’ completely clogged the blade and filter, it was amazing that it hadn’t stopped working before. I did think afterwards that I should have taken photographs to illustrate ‘Mac’s guide to unblock a Vetus macerator’, but I feel that you are probably glad that I didn’t and I will spare you the details.

By the time Jacquie returned the loo was back in place, disinfected, tools put away and I had showered. And the loo, well that is almost up the airline standard, you don’t want to be sitting on it when you press the button, a slight exaggeration, but it does work first time every time now, A good days work.

No comments: