About Me

My photo
70 now and our five wonderful years aboard our narrowboat Skyy seem along time ago. Jacquie, allowed me to build my replica three wheeler kit car, which was a great success. Now it's time to start on a bigger project and that is to make a good Triumph Stag even better, here goes.

Friday, 9 July 2010



Fortunately the water level had risen and with the advantage of a boat coming the other way. bringing a lock full of water with it, there was just enough to get through the first few locks, but on several occasions John had to reverse and get the bow back into the channel as we steadily made our way up past the old Courtaulds factory.

As SKYY entered lock 41 she did get stuck on the sill, a note on the lock said not to draw off water from the upper pound, but to phone the lock keeper. We waited twenty minutes, but when no reply was received to my phone message, we let just enough water in to scrape over the sill and into the lock with enough water left to climb the remaining three locks.

There are delightful moorings provided just before West Summit Lock 37 and here we would have to stay until Ray the lock Keeper would hopefully set us on our way over the Summit first thing tomorrow morning.

Our surrounding was so tranquil and private that it was decided that all the men would be given a haircut. John was first, Jacquie efficiently handling the electric clippers, I was next and finally a pretend session on Duggie, just to get him used to us using clippers on him.

A walk along the summit was encouraging as there appeared to be plenty of water up here, not to mention the wonderful views. We refreshed ourselves in the Summit pub; people are so friendly and helpful up north, there was half a dozen eggs on one of the tables and Jacquie asked the person who she thought might have owned them where he had got his eggs from, he straight away offered to drive me the half mile or so to the free range egg small holding, I accepted his offer and soon returned with eggs so fresh they were still warm! And he reluctantly accepted a pint as thanks.

It was a relatively early night as we had to be up and ready to go at 8.30 the following morning

No comments: