About Me

My photo
70 now and our five wonderful years aboard our narrowboat Skyy seem along time ago. Jacquie, allowed me to build my replica three wheeler kit car, which was a great success. Now it's time to start on a bigger project and that is to make a good Triumph Stag even better, here goes.

Monday 13 April 2009

WET NECK NO MORE

SATURDAY 11TH APRIL 2009

The really good news is that the new foam mattress is a great success; I really did have concern that a flat pack mattress could be an improvement on the old one, but it most certainly is.

The sliding hatch at the rear of the boat has always caused rain water to run down the back of my neck whenever I pull open the hatch open from inside of the boat. Do you remember those old black and white, war time submarine films, when the submariner who opens the conning tower hatch after a submarine has surfaced, well it feels just like that must have felt.

The hatch hasn’t got a lip on its rear edge to deflect the water and for a long time I had been considering how best to rectify this. Whilst wandering around Focus I found a slim plastic moulded strip for sealing the joint between a kitchen worktop and wall. I cut the strip to the required length and decided to glue it to the rear edge with contact adhesive. I masked of the area to be glued so that the adhesive wouldn’t spread onto the surrounding paint work and also spread glue onto the strip, after ten minutes I placed the moulding accurately in place and pressed down and removed the masking paper and that was it.



I masked off the slight indentation to the joint line to the rear of the moulding and filled the gap with mastic, again removing the tape immediately. I just need to paint the moulding to match the hatch, but already after the light rain I no longer get a wet neck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

About time too we we have been discussing that drippy hatch for ever

JB