About Me

My photo
70 now and our five wonderful years aboard our narrowboat Skyy seem along time ago. Jacquie, allowed me to build my replica three wheeler kit car, which was a great success. Now it's time to start on a bigger project and that is to make a good Triumph Stag even better, here goes.

Wednesday 3 June 2009

WINDY LOCKS

SATURDAY 16TH MAY 2009

I had spent the night moored alongside an Anglo Welsh hire boat that was due back at the boatyard first thing. As my intention was to get away early, this was not a problem and I was through Eynsham Lock by 8.15am, but by the time I arrived at Kings Lock the wind had become so strong, it was almost impossible to hold the boat alongside the landing stage at the lock entrance. Fortunately the lady lock keeper, who had just come on duty, came to my aid and held the lines until I got back on board and motored into the lock.

Godstow lock was not so exposed and I had no difficulty here. The final run into Oxford City centre is quite sheltered and I found the perfect mooring, just below Osney Bridge, in front of a row of charming cottages. The railway station was only five minutes walk away and Jacquie’s train was due in ten, perfect timing. The rest of the day was a touch lazy, until my Sister Dawn and son Dene and his fiancĂ© Briony arrived and the rest of the night was spent in the very convenient and comfortable Watermans Arms.

No comments: