About Me

My photo
70 now and our five wonderful years aboard our narrowboat Skyy seem along time ago. Jacquie, allowed me to build my replica three wheeler kit car, which was a great success. Now it's time to start on a bigger project and that is to make a good Triumph Stag even better, here goes.

Friday 28 May 2010

BOG ON THE BLOG

MONDAY 24TH MAY 2010

Not such a bright start, but we were on a lock free run to Ellesmere Port to visit the National Boat Museum. The water is the weediest that we have so far encountered, probably because not so many boats come this far and although I did have a trail of weed behind us a quick burst of reverse shook it off. The approach is rural but soon the towers and chimneys of a petro chemical plant come into view, but as we tied up by the museum the sun came through the clouds.



This is where the inland canal system meets the sea, or at least the Mersey Estuary, via the Manchester Ship Canal and it was fascinating to see the little lighthouse marking the entrance to the locks leading up to the Port of Ellesmere from the big ship canal.



The museum has been in the news lately, in fact there was a one hour TV programme about it and its problems on BBC4 on Thursday evening the 27th. We enjoyed our visit and there did seem to be plenty of visitors hopefully bring in sufficient revenue that the serious commitment to restoring heritage of old boats can continue.


There was one surprising moment when I opened the door to the outside privy to one of the Porters Houses, as my mumbled apology brought no response, I pushed the door a little further to pay my compliments. My only complaint was that I couldn’t buy from the museum shop a brass ‘Ellesmere Port’ plaque, still I am sure that the excellent little canal side shop at Braunston will be able to, also the cones to our Cornetto ice-creams had gone soggy, should have had my usual Magnum!




We headed back out of Ellesmere Port and moored at exactly the same spot as the previous night. The warm weather has deserted us so no more al-fresco dining for a while, but we all slept soundly.

No comments: