About Me

My photo
70 now and our five wonderful years aboard our narrowboat Skyy seem along time ago. Jacquie, allowed me to build my replica three wheeler kit car, which was a great success. Now it's time to start on a bigger project and that is to make a good Triumph Stag even better, here goes.

Friday, 21 May 2010



The reason for retracing our steps Southwards down the Shroppie was that on the way up with chums Steve and Caroline we didn’t stop at the Secret Nuclear Bunker at Hack Green. First thing Wednesday morning we headed the three miles down to just before Hack Green locks, turned SKYY round in the handy winding hole, tied her up and abandoned her and Duggie for the fascinating, but chilling experience of what life would have been like for those within and without the bunker in the aftermath of a nuclear attack. This bunker would have been the seat of regional government in the event of war being declared and there must have been many of them dotted around the UK. The scariest moment was in small shelter where the sounds and vibrations of a nuclear strike can be felt. http://www.hackgreen.co.uk/

Back into the warmth of a lovely early summer day and we decided to stay put. I used the time to re-black the starboard side which was looking well battered. The one problem with the Shroppie is that a sloping stone underwater profile, prevents you from mooring tight up to the bank, which causes the boat to bang about when other boats pass, but I put this to good use as the nine inch gap between bank and boat allowed me to roller right down to waters edge, just got to do the other side now.

On Thursday we moved SKYY back to Marsh Lane Bridge, which put us within a comfortable walk of Nantwich Town. Another wonderful surprise; lots of ancient black and white Tudor buildings, other curious constructions, a huge church and very smart shops. The towns prosperity was based on salt mining, apparently any town name ending in ‘wich’ has been involved in the production of salt, a most valuable commodity in the old days, so much so that to hold up the price, the local salt houses were only allowed to boil the brine for twelve days in any one year.

Jacquie made a hairdressing appointment for early Friday morning, allowing her plenty of time to ‘do’ the shops, whilst Cindrella was left behind to get SKYY shipshape, pending the arrival of Marilyn and Brian on Saturday, seasoned sailors, having stayed with us several times now.

1 comment:

Carol said...

Hi Jacquie, we passed you when you were moored above bridge 91 at Nantwich on Thursday 20th May, but there was no one on board. We only stopped for lunch and then moved on to Barbridge. Sorry we missed you.