About Me

My photo
70 now and our five wonderful years aboard our narrowboat Skyy seem along time ago. Jacquie, allowed me to build my replica three wheeler kit car, which was a great success. Now it's time to start on a bigger project and that is to make a good Triumph Stag even better, here goes.

Friday 21 May 2010

WHITCHURCH

THURSDAY 13TH TO SUNDAY 16TH MAY 2010

Jacquie needed to travel down to London and we worked out that the best and only feasible way was by train from Whitchurch via Crewe. After stocking up at Ellesmere’s convenient, basin side, Tesco we set off on the twelve miles and with no locks and only a couple of lift bridges and the flow behind us it was easy going. Coming the other way it had been very wet, but today the sun was shining bright and Cole Mere was looking at its best.



We turned into the short Whitchurch Arm and moored right at the very end and walked through the town to the railway Station so Jacquie could buy her train ticket for Friday, only it was an unmanned station. Fortunately on the way back we spotted a taxi in the town centre and made arrangement for Jacquie to be picked up from the bridge at the end of the arm to save lugging her bag for what turned out to be about a mile and a half walk to the station.went perfectly to plan, the return ticket to London was bought on the single carriage train to Crewe and the taxi collected Jacquie and returned her on Sunday evening to within fifty yards of SKYY.

I discovered Whitchurch to an interesting and mainly unspoilt town. On walking back from the station I discovered the premises of J. B. Joyce who have been making big clocks for church towers at this site since 1690. The splendid, red sandstone Church at the top of the High Street had massive windows,



I made good use of the time that Jacquie was away, I changed the engine oil and filter, caught up with the blog etc. etc. I wished that like many other bloggers, I could blog on a daily basis, but by the end of the day my brain wants to sleep, so I tend to catch up with several days in a batch and hope that I haven’t forgotten too many salient details.

No comments: